Skip to Main Content
Pathways to Science: Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. Search for a program . . . find your future.

UPWARDS Graduate Academic Year Research Training Program

Click Here to Learn More and Apply! 

Academic Level:
High School Students
Undergraduates - First Year
Undergraduates - Sophomore
Undergraduates - Junior
Undergraduates - Senior

The MD Anderson Cancer Center UPWARDS research training initiative was created to offer hands-on, laboratory-based research experience so as to encourage underserved students to enter into STEM based academic and professional careers.We provide summer programs designed for underserved high school and undergraduate students, with the objective of fostering greater enthusiasm for biomedical graduate programs and the cancer research workforce.

This 10-week research training program provides hands-on laboratory research training from distinguished faculty mentors representing various disciplines throughout the institution. Trainees will spend approximately 85% of their time engaged in a research project as decided upon with their mentor. The remaining 15% of their time will be devoted to academic and professional development programming. Trainees will present their research projects at the end of summer at the CATALYST poster symposium. To help generate a greater interest in STEM amongt younger generations, UPWARDS trainees will participate in one outreach event during the summer.

Eligible trainees must be 1. an incoming high school senior in the Houston area or a current undergraduate student (rising sophomores-rising seniors) 2. Applicants should identify as underserved which includes, but is not limited to, economically disadvantaged, economically disadvantaged, with disabilities, and/or a first generation college student.
accepts non-us citizens

Participating Institution(s):
(Click an institution to see all programs it hosts or sponsors)
University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (Lead)

Program Materials:
 • Program Website 

This Program can be Described by:
Academic Disciplines:
Bioinformatics & Genomics
Biomedical Engineering
Cellular Biology
Chemical & Nuclear Engineering
Genetics & Genomics
Molecular Biology

Cellular Immunology
Computational Biology
Gene Expression Studies
Genomic Analysis
Human Pathogenics
Imaging Physics
Radiation Oncology
Structural Biology
Under-Represented Minorities

Learn More and Apply!

This program is funded by:
National Institute of Health (NIH)

Page last updated 2/10/2024 6:33:14 PM
Click here to submit updates to this program listing!


a flag denotes an institution that is the lead of an allianceInstitution that is the lead of an alliance

An exclamation point denotes a program with an upcoming deadlineUpcoming deadline

an airplane denotes a study abroad opportunityProgram includes a study abroad component

icon indicating a short-term opportunityDifferent from a program, an opportunity is generally short-term; they include paid workshops, travel funds, or professional development opportunities

icon indicating a nationwide programNationwide programs are not based at individual institutions

an airplane denotes a study abroad opportunityProgram Just Posted

a suitcase denotes portable fundingPortable Funding

a globe denotes funding for international studentsFunds International Students

a checkbox denotes a program recently updatedProgram recently updated